By Karla Paris
San Diego-based healthcare system expands its existing partnership to improve its budgeting, cost accounting, and decision supporting activities.
Hospitals and health systems are increasingly asked to demonstrate value as financial returns are being driven less by volume and more by quality, outcomes, and cost. The ability to routinely plan, monitor, and assess clinical, financial, and operational performance organization-wide is critical. Accurate and reliable data should drive planning decisions, and progress should be monitored over time through accurate measures of volume, cost, and profitability trends – both by patient and across clinical service lines.
Palomar Health will implement Kaufman Hall’s complete performance management solution in an effort to integrate large amounts of its disparate financial data into a trusted source that the organization’s decision-makers could easily and efficiently leverage.
Palomar Health is the largest health care district serving communities in an 850-square-mile area complete with a trauma center that covers more than 2,200 square miles of South Riverside and North San Diego Counties. In addition to three hospitals, Palomar Health offers home healthcare, surgery, skilled nursing, ambulatory care, behavioral health services, wound care, and community health education programs.
As it evaluated software solutions, Palomar Health realized that Kaufman Hall provided the integrated software needed to meet the evolving challenges and opportunities related to managing Palomar Health’s performance.
Leveraging Microsoft .NET architecture and databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, along with Microsoft Excel and cloud technologies, Kaufman Hall software can handle Palomar Health’s data, user, and modeling requirements. Specifically, the platform provides:
- an integrated performance management platform that can be delivered on premise or in the cloud
- a spreadsheet calculation engine rather than a technical scripting language
- scalability to handle large enterprise data sets and user communities
- highly resilient n-tier load-balanced architecture
- automated server side services to automate recurring operations
- flexible dimension metadata management for rollups and hierarchies
- a security model for complete control of the most granular elements
- system triggers to support smart calculations
- administration-free deployments and upgrades